[mythtv-users] Low end NUC as backend/frontend?

david brooke david2012brooke at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 22:20:39 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Greg Thompson <gthompson20 at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have the new Haswell NUC Core i3 and tried to use it as a fronted... I
> have had no success in getting pure software rendering to work with the
> latest Intel Open Source Graphics Installer. When Using XV-BLIT it just
> runs at maybe 1 frame a second. VAAPI does work (with limited
> de-interlacing options) and OpenGL works ok, but both have annoying stutter
> when any OSD graphics come up.
>
> I have switched to XBMC on Windows with the Cmyth Plugin to run as a
> frontend and that works great!
>
> Greg
>

> On Jan 21, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
>
> > I notice that Newegg has the
> >
> > Intel NUC Kit DC3217BY Intel QS77 2 x 204Pin Core i3 3217U 1.8GHz HD
> Graphics 4000 Integrated by CPU Chassis for $180
> >
> > I currently use a 2007 MacMini2,1 Core 2 Duo/2GHZ/GMA graphics as a
> backend/frontend, which except for boot uses a large external USB disk for
> Linux and Myth storage. The poor support of GMA on Linux going forward has
> me looking for a replacement of similar footprint. The HDMI on the NUC
> would also make things easier.
> >
> > This low end NUC is the right size and price. I would use my existing
> external disk and just need to add ram.
> >
> > I'm not familiar with how good the HD4000 is at MPEG2 under Linux/Myth.
> How would it stack up against my old Mini?
> >
> > I do use bluetooth and IR which are built in on the Mini. Not clear to
> me if the NUC has either. I guess there are USB solutions if necessary.

I have a i5 2405S and use:
Playback profile - opengl high quality   res > 0 -> ffmpeg and opengl
decoder = standard, max cpu's = 2, deblocking filter checked, video
renderer = opengl, osd renderer = opengl2, osd fade checked
primary deinterlacer = greedy highmotion. fallback deinterlacer = yadif

try this and post your results.