[mythtv-users] Switching away from comcast to online streams

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sat Jan 25 07:45:40 UTC 2014

[I'm on the list, but Cc on replies appreciated]

My new "promotional rate" with comcast is $60 including a $10 bullshit
HD fee, for maybe 4 channels I watch outside of OTA channels.

I recently bought an HDHR3 with cablecard (from an older HDHR and using
a cable box with firewwire), and mostly been paying comcast because I
have a working mythtv setup that gives me:
- programs show up recorded, commercials flagged, ready to watch

I know I can stream/many most programs from the net, but
1) commercials are there and unskippable
2) I have to go to many different sites to watch each
3) more importantly, I can't have a list of what I watch, and have them
show up on a single page with "this new programs just aired, would you
like to watch them" that I get from mythtv.

It doesn't have to be free, I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee that is
less than what I'm paying comcast.

I know about hulu+, but doesn't it fail #1 and #3?
and maybe #2 for programs that aren't on hulu+?

Are there any new ways that I might not know about?
I'd love it if I could still use mythtv (or xbmc if needed), but if I
have to switch to something else, I'd consider it.

If that helps, here's what I watch:

OTA:
- 60 minutes
- KQED: Nova
- SNL
- Simpsons

Cable:
- comedy channel: daily show, south park
- History HD (Some documentaries, Top Gear USA)
- Discovery HD (mythbusters, some science related shows)

All in all, not that much, but the current "just works" convenience I
have right now is kind of nice, especially #3 mentioned above again.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....