[mythtv-users] BackBlaze hard drive study

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Jan 21 23:33:19 UTC 2014

On 1/21/2014 4:57 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

Supermicro's high density file server is an even clumsier design where
half the hotswap bays are on the back side of the machine.

> I guess if your super-architecture makes it not matter that you have
> to down an entire string to reap a dead drive...

You don't have to take down an entire box.  The design is just a dirty
homebrew version of Sun's Thumper boxes.  The drives are still on a
backplane and hotswappable.  You merely have to slide the machine out on
its (very stout) rails and open the lid to access the hotswap bays.

http://atlas1.atlas.aei.uni-hannover.de/~carsten/ClusterPhotos/BenjaminKnispel-AEI/Storage/tn/Sun-Thumper-Storage-3.med.jpg