[mythtv-users] Question on recording sizes and DVD burning

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jan 21 21:54:52 UTC 2014

On 21/01/14 21:16, John Finlay wrote:

> I gave up using mytharchive and use mythffmpeg to transcode my HD
> programs for making DVDs and use a command line like:
>
> mythffmpeg -i <inputfilename>.mpg -map 0:0 -map 0:<1 or 2>  -deinterlace
> -target ntsc-dvd -aspect 16:9 -acodec copy <outputfilename>.mpg
>
> The -map 0:<1 or 2> is used to select the best audio channel which
> usually is ac3 5.1. I leave out the -deinterlace if the program is 720p.
> I copy the audio since I see no reason to transcode it to mp2. For a
> 120m movie in 1080i it takes about 140m using my old dual core AMD and
> produces a file which is about 4.1G. The transcode uses about 120% CPU
> according to top.
>
> Then I use dvdauthor and mkisofs to gen the ISO.
>
> John

Very similar to my experience, although I do still use MythArchive -
because I have a version that works reliably with UK SD recordings. So
if I want to start from HD I use a mythffmpeg command line similar to
the one above to convert to a pal-dvd 'recording' which can then be
edited and processed in the usual way.  I tend to get 2 hours, instead
of the usual 3, on a dvd.  The initial transcode is typically at 30 fps
on a 2-core 1.7 GHz laptop - ie slightly faster than real time.  The
difference in picture quality (from an equivalent SD recording) is
rarely spectacular.

I haven't tried the deinterlace option.

John P