[mythtv-users] codeset warning in mythfilldatabase?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 16 18:08:36 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 12:13 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask about this one.  When I run mythfilldatabase
> I get this warning:
>
> This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a UTF-8
> codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your current
> language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG
> variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to
> include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8')
>
> Yet all that seems correct in my locale:
>
> tom at mythback ~ $ locale
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Is anything actually wrong there, or is the warning erroneous?

The message from mythfilldatabase:
"This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a UTF-8
codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your current
language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and LANG
variable(s) in the environment in which this program is executed to
include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8')."

"LANG=en_US.utf8"

UTF-8 != utf8

(While the comparison is case-insensitive, you're missing a hyphen.)

How do I know for sure I'm supposed to use a hyphen and MythTV isn't
just wrong?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/479813#479813

If your distro set things up incorrectly for you, please get them to fix
their brokenness (and try to get others to fix their brokenness when you
see this message posted to the list--which happens /way/ too often).  If
your distro has renamed the charmap file that glibc calls "UTF-8.gz" to
UTF8.gz (without the hyphen), please let me know.

Mike