[mythtv-users] codeset warning in mythfilldatabase?

Mike Thomas mt3 at pfw.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 17:40:21 UTC 2014

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:20:43 -0800
Karl Newman <newmank1 at asme.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Tom Dexter
> <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I've been meaning to ask about this one.  When I run
> > mythfilldatabase I get this warning:
> >
> > This application expects to be running a locale that specifies a
> > UTF-8 codeset, and many features may behave improperly with your
> > current language settings. Please set the LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE, and
> > LANG variable(s) in the environment in which this program is
> > executed to include a UTF-8 codeset (such as 'en_US.UTF-8')
> >
> > Yet all that seems correct in my locale:
> >
> > tom at mythback ~ $ locale
> > LANG=en_US.utf8
> > LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
> > LC_ALL=
> >
> > Is anything actually wrong there, or is the warning erroneous?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Tom
> >

> I seem to recall that the locale settings are case-sensitive, so
> en_US.utf8 is not the same as en_US.UTF8. Mine are all set as the
> upper-case variant and I don't think I get those messages anymore.
> Worth a try anyway...
>
> Karl

Read the wording of the message more carefully. Set LC_ALL or LC_CTYPE,
not both. You must set LANG as well. Check your environment with env.
Also check if the locale directories are present. On my system I'd use
ls /lib/locale/en_GB.UTF-8 your paths might be different.
Try /usr/local/share blah blah blah. This directory should contain files
named after the LC_ variables. If they don't exist create them with
localedef -i en_US -f utf8 or whatever. See localedef(1).

Mike