[mythtv-users] HDPVR HD Recordings are in 4:3 format

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 16 04:07:32 UTC 2014

> A long time ago, on a cable system far far away, on an OS that
> is no longer supported.... (so nothing that follows may apply,
> but perhaps it does).
gary.buhrmaster [at] gmail

> Indeed, you should *definitely* configure your STB to output only a
> single resolution if that option is available to you. Let the STB do
> upscaling if needed, and avoid the headaches that can occur with the
> HD-PVR if a resolution change occurs unexpectedly.
>
> Devin

So I went back and dug into the mythtv and system logs.  I had two cases
where I had, for a show series, both a normal HD resolution (1920x1080)
episode recording and a reduced HD resolution (720x480) episode
recording.  In both cases, mediainfo confirmed the AVC versus NTSC
formatting which I was seeing on-screen.  However, also in both cases,
there was NO discernible difference in the log entries.  There was no
hint of any problems (problem being an HD 1920x1080 episode getting
recorded at 720x480).

Next I used ffmpeg to look at the very first few seconds (frame by
frame) of each recording -- I was looking for a commercial or ending
show broadcast in 720x480.  That's from the tip Gary_Buhrmaster gave
(posted above).  I didn't find any.  In retrospect, it's possible
(likely??) that the frames analyzed (by the HD-PVR/driver) to set the
resolution are not recorded.  Anybody know the answer to that one?

So now I'm going to try to set my set-top-box to "fixed at 1080i." I
think it must be set at auto, or whatever the setting is to just push
along whatever it receives.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't be having
this problem at all.  Once done and left to run for awhile, I'll post
back here with my results.

Thanks folks for your help!

Joe Henley