[mythtv-users] Support for HDTC-2US? (HDHomeRuns Transcode Model?)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 18:16:15 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> Which again depends on MythTV being updated in order to tell the device to
>> (or to not, if that's the case) transcode the stream.
>
> Unless this option is sticky.  (e.g. if it's possible for the user to
> set the tuner to H.264 mode or not using hdhomerun_config and MythTV
> would just work with whatever setting the user configured the tuner to
> use)

There was a suggestion by someone that the new devices *might*
allow persistence transcode (and quality) specification.  But the
docs (and any new SDK/API) do not yet exist.  My guess is that
SD is busy with CES, and one might see something being posted
sometime after that event (and the staff decompression) occurs
now that the device may actually be shipping.  There is always the
chance that one of the news sites will actually review the device
at CES (although, at least in recent memory, they are no longer
providing real details, mostly "fluff" pieces).

>> MythTV is not
>> currently aware of such abilities on HDHomeRuns, and I cannot find any
>> documentation on how to control such abilities on the Silicon Dust website.
>
> Me neither, but MythTV is explicitly listed as compatible with this
> tuner in their marketing material.  I would take them at their word
> that it works.

As long as one does not take advantage of any advanced features
(such as transcoding :-) one would expect the new model to be
supported as before.  Note that (at least at intro) SD stated that
the Windows BDA driver would not support transcoding specification
(unknown if that is a targeted future feature), and that the new
gen devices would work the same as the existing ones.  That
bodes well for the device working with MythTV (as before).

Whether (and when) the new capabilities will be useful to MythTV
will continue to be unknowable until SD provides updates to their
docs/SDK/API.  Any conjecture on this list is just that, conjecture
(and if you want other conjectures, the SD forums have quite a few
too).