[mythtv-users] truncated recording

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Feb 17 11:30:48 UTC 2014

On 17/02/14 02:45, Mark Wedel wrote:

>   A few nights ago, my recording of OTA olympic recording was truncated.  It
> would end after about 15 minutes.
>
>   Since I started watching it while it was still on, mythtv was claiming the
> space used was increasing, and after it finished recording, statedthe recorded
> size was about 25 GB.
>
>   However, using the info to find out the file name, and then finding the actual
> file in the filesystem, it was about 1 GB.  Mythtv itself did not state any
> errors with the recording.
>
>   There was plenty of space in the filesystem was was recording to (100+ GB), so
> it is not a case of running out of space.  And my other large olympic recordings
> have all been fine.
>
>   Any thoughts on cause or how to prevent this from happening in the future? I'm
> more concerned about having this happen to other programs I'm not watching
> immediately, and by the time I notice them shortened, it is too late to find
> them on repeats.  Since mythtv seems to have believed everything went fine, it
> wouldn't go and re-recorded such files.
>
>   Mythtv 0.26.1 on ubuntu

How long was your program? 1 Gb for an SD program works out at about half an
hour. The average rate for SD is around 2Gb/hour, HD can vary according to the
compression but can be around 8Gb/hour.

Since myth thinks the recording finished ok, and 25Gb sounds a more reasonable
size than 1Gb for an Olympic session, perhaps you have a disk problem. Have you
done any hard disk checks recently?

--

Mike Perkins