[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime and use of CCI

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 16:51:30 UTC 2014

Hi folks,

Apparently I've completely missed the boat on the existence of the
HDHomeRun Prime / DCR-2650 devices.  Currently I have an HD-PVR and a
Comcast (Pittsburgh) cable box.  And it works fine.  I can record
whatever I want, albeit just one channel at a time.

Initially, the HDHomeRun Prime seemed like an ideal solution.  Multiple
tuners, no "analog hole" quality loss, and I could even avoid the cable
box rental fee!  And then I started digging a bit deeper.  (But
eventually I reached the end of what I could find out via Google)

The concern that I have is with CCI. In particular, that some of the
stations I watch may set the "Copy Once" flag.  And given that
MythTV/Linux aren't DRM approved, "Copy Once" really means "You can't
watch this."   Is this correct?

I've found some resources like
<http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php> for viewing CCI
information for cable providers.  But from what I've been gathering,
it's really up to your local cable provider to decide which non-local
channels get the "Copy Once" flag. Picking a Comcast provider near me
<http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/cci/index.php?id=6> shows a good
number of Copy Once channels.  If MythTV cannot view those channels,
then that seems like a dealbreaker for me.

Can anybody set me in the right direction here?

Thanks
-WD