[mythtv-users] re-record and delete

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sat Feb 8 04:57:57 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM, faginbagin <mythtv at hbuus.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/2014 5:57 PM, Leo Butler wrote:
> >>
> >>    From: John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com>
> >>
> >>    On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Leo Butler <
> leo.butler at member.ams.org>wrote:
> >>
> >>    > >   On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Leo Butler <
> leo.butler at member.ams.org
> >>    > >wrote:
> >>    > >
> >>    > >   > >
> >>    > >   > >   Leo Butler wrote, on 07/02/14 19:27:
> >>    > >   > >   > Hi, I just changed tuners from an old analog tuner to
> the
> >>    > HDHR3-CC. I
> >>    > >   > >   > see that the recordings made by the HDHR are smaller
> and of
> >>    > better
> >>    > >   > >   > quality.
> >>    > >   > >   >
> >>    > >   > >   > I have a fair number of recordings which I would like
> to have
> >>    > >   > >   > re-recorded with the new tuner, and have the old
> recording
> >>    > deleted at
> >>    > >   > >   > that time. How can I do this in a reasonable way?
> >>    > >   > >
> >>    > >   > >   I think you can say "allow rerecord" on the menu. And
> then you'd
> >>    > >   > >   manually delete after it had. But there may be a better
> way...
> >>    > >   >
> >>    > >   > Thanks.
> >>    > >   > I don't see a way to do this through the recording rules
> menu. Doing
> >>    > >   > what you suggest recording-by-recording would be too time
> consuming,
> >>    > >   > so I am looking for an alternative, better way.
> >>    > >
> >>    > >   From: Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com>
> >>    > >
> >>    > >   You could add them to a playback group and then
> delete/rerecord the
> >>    > >   playback group.
> >>    >
> >>    > If I do that, are the recordings deleted immediately? What I am
> trying
> >>    > to do is to replace an old recording with a new one, but only when
> the
> >>    > new one becomes available. Would your suggestion approach do that?
> >>

> >>    There is an example clause under the "Custom Record" option of
> "Re-record
> >>    SDTV in HDTV".  It seems to look for any current recording without
> the HDTV
> >>    flag set, and records the same show if it sees it in the guide with
> the
> >>    HDTV flag set.   That would not delete the existing recording, but
> you
> >>    could easily do that yourself once the new HDTV recording shows up.
>  Using
> >>    it, or a variation of it is probably your best bet.
> >
> > John, thanks, the key phrase was "custom record". I think I can whip
> > up a custom record query, and then run a script as a user job after
> [...]

It depends on the matching strategy chosen for the recording rule. If you
choose Check for Duplicates in: "Current Recordings" then it won't
re-record if the episode exists in the current recordings (i.e., recorded
table). If you choose "Previous Recordings" then it won't re-record if the
episode was previously recorded (i.e., oldrecorded table), but I'm not sure
if it ignores current recordings if they also exist in the previous (which
they'd have to unless the history was deleted). And then choosing "All
Recordings" implies that it won't record if it matches current or past
recordings.

Karl