[mythtv-users] random livetv stalls

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Feb 7 14:46:31 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Friday, February 7, 2014, Kevin Johnson <iitywygms at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Unless I am not understanding how mythtv works, my mythtv setup does not
>> use nfs.
>> This is my exports config.
>> /D2/share *(rw,async,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)
>> No other entries are in there.
>>

> /etc/exports has nothing to do with what the frontend is mounting. It will
> be fstab
>

>> Mythtv does not store any recordings in the /D2/share directory.
>> So that should eliminate nfs as a issue right?  Or do I not understand
>> correctly?
>>

> You do...
>
> Looking at your log, it does attempt to go via storage groups.
>
> At this stage the only thing I can suggest is try a different hard drive.
>
> In the mean time when Live TV starts, try to rewind 10s or pause 10-15s or
> so... see if that helps

Something else that came up recently on this list that can affect
performance is if your SATA drives (assuming you're using them) have NCQ
enabled. In my case, I had to go into my BIOS and change the controller to
AHCI mode. For me, it helped the responsiveness in multitasked I/O
situations (e.g., copying a large file while myth was recording and/or
playing back no longer causes stutters). Check here for more information:
http://exemen.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/enabling-disabling-and-checking-ncq/

Karl