[mythtv-users] Code to convert Xfree86 modeline into an 18 byte DTD array?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:29:11 UTC 2014

On Friday, February 7, 2014, Stephen Hocking <stephen.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to work around an Nvida bug that causes it to specify TV modes when the EDID has extension blocks. These TV modes introduce overscan, instead of using my carefully crafted 1920x1080 modelines that are pixel perfect. If I disable the extension blocks, I get the perfect picture, but it also gets rid of the EDID data that tells the card about the audio devices on the other end of the HDMI link.
>
> I am planning on crafting my own EDID which will replace the manufacturer's modelines with my own, bringing both the perfect picture and tasty HDMI sound. Unfortunately this is going to involve a fair amount of bit-banging, and although I have working code that goes from the DTD array to the modeline, it's a bit of a pain to reverse the process. Before I expend much skull sweat, has anyone else got a fragment of code that does this?
>
>    Stephen

"Les solutions les meilleures sont souvent les plus simples"

 Why bother?

Simply disable ELD reading in nvidia drivers; then it doesn't matter
what audio device you have on the other end and what it supports. Just
configure myth to support whatever features your audio device
supports.

Add to etc/modprobe.d/whatever.conf the following options:

options snd-hda-codec-hdmi static_hdmi_pcm=1

BTW, you don't even need to override the EDID with a custom one, you
can perfectly tell the nvidia drivers to ignore whichever data you
want to ignore.
It's all in the mythtv wiki there:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:JudderFree