[mythtv-users] Status of OpenGL ES2.0 support?

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Fri Feb 7 06:13:51 UTC 2014

Stephen Hocking wrote:

> Hi all, some cursory Googling didn't reveal a definitive answer on
> this - does anyone have any idea? I installed mythfrontend on my
> odroid (quadcore 1.7GHz arm with mali400, allegedly supporting es 2.0)
> and it's almost fast enough for standard def. When I go into settings,
> the only options for scaling/deinterlacing are xv-blit and the various
> software algorithms. Is it a simple matter of the packages (from
> xubuntu 13.10) not being built with the right options?

At the moment, the information on the odroid forums is that 720p under
linux is good.  1080p is not great.  It's not the mali chip drivers that
provide the video acceleration on this board.  It's the Exynos VPU
(Video Processing Unit) and/or MFC (Multi Function Codec) that provides
the acceleration.  Those binary blob bits are apparently better on
android vs. linux.  For things like XBMC, it's recommended to try the
Pocket Rocket (eMMC) or Couch Potato (SD card) images or Cyanogenmod. I
haven't had a chance to try mythfrontend on either.  The Exynos' HDMI
support is really picky about DVI connections for HDMI. Half of the
monitors/TVs in the house only have DVI. I'm lucky if the odroid-u3
displays any kind of distorted or downrezzed picture on a monitor.  :-(

Alan