[mythtv-users] Resolved, mostly: HD Choppy or Jerky

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Tue Feb 4 00:57:34 UTC 2014

On 02/03/2014 04:36 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Dick,
>

> I'm looking back at your original post and you describe only one
> machine. Is that the backend or the frontend and what are the specs of
> the other.

That is currently the machine that I plan to use as a combined front end
and back end -- unless there's a good reason not to. I'm working out the
issues of setting up MythTV on another machine that I don't plan to be
the one I use for Myth in the long run.

The machine that will be running both the front and back end is a Lenovo
ThinkCentre M58P, specifically a 7483AEU, 2GB RAM, Intel(R) Core(TM)2
Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 2 GB of RAM, a 320 GB hard drive, and an eVGA
(nVidia) GeForce GT-610 video card, feeding a Panasonic TC-42PX14.T
Plasma TV.

The machine I'm testing MythTV on is a Jetway IONTop with an Intel(R)
Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz, with 4 GB of RAM, a 250 GB hard drive, and
an on-board nvidia GT120[ION] video controller.

> Especially transcoding on the backend can take up cpu just
> like decoding on the frontend.

That sounds like it might be a good idea to run separate machines.

> You could record cpu and memory usage
> on both and store it in rrdtool. I could provide you with the script I
> use for this and temp etc. monitoring.

Sure. I'd like to give that a try.

--
Regards,