[mythtv-users] HD Choppy or Jerky

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Feb 2 04:49:50 UTC 2014

I appreciate all the responses to my questions. The leading contender
seems to be potential bottlenecks in the house network. I neglected to
mention a couple of switches in the system, some old enough that they do
not support 10/100/1000 speed, only 10/100. I have come up with a test
that I hope will help determine if network speed is the issue.

One of my four port switches supports 10/100/1000 Ethernet. I installed
it in the living room because I only have two CAT-5 cables going there
and they were both in use before adding the potential Myth box to the
room. My plan is to move the HDHomeRun Prime to the living room, using a
splitter there so it shares the RG-mumble cable feeding my old Comcast
cable box. Connect the Ethernet side of the HDHomeRun Prime to the
10/100/1000 switch. Connect the Lenovo M58P to that same switch. Leave
the connection to the router on that switch, too, since both of the
other devices need DHCP from the router.

If my assumption is correct, short, un-kinked CAT-5 cables going from
the switch to the HDHomeRun Prime and my Lenovo should operate at 1000
when talking to each other. The only time they would operate at 100
would be while getting their IP assignment, or when the Lenovo needed to
talk to the outside world.

Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing something?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens