[mythtv-users] HD Choppy or Jerky

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 01:10:42 UTC 2014

On 2/1/14, 7:16 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Stephen,
>
> Sunday, February 2, 2014, 1:05:00 AM, you wrote:
>

>> On 2/1/14, 6:58 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>>> Hoi Stephen,

>>> Thanks for the proper english/american wording, I literally translated
>>> from dutch. But for short cable (max 2m, computer to outlet) that might
>>> bend now and then, stranded might last longer without damaging the
>>> twisting or even one of the wires. Hard wire should never bend more
>>> then 20-30 degrees.
>>>
>>> Tot mails,
>>>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>>
>>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>>
>>> De lerende Mens
>>> --

>> Are you saying that I'm wrong to wrap the hard cable around a pencil a
>> few dozen times?   ;)
>> Seriously, quite true. Tighter bends tend to push the twisted wires
>> apart, lessening the noise rejection capability of the cable and
>> increasing noise within the cable itself from adjacent strands that are
>> also separated.
>> The downside of hard wire cables is that it can easily kink when feeding
>> it, giving it those sharp twists that one should avoid.
>> Still, I'm still trying to find the proper cable to use my cable
>> stretcher on, for when the run isn't *quite* long enough.*
>
>> *Yes, I'm one of those nice guys who send the FNG off to get the cable
>> stretcher on his first day at work.  ;)
>
> If you want real quality... there is an unofficial standard they call
> cat7 it's like stp but with every pair shielded. It comes with special
> walloutlets (a square of four connectors, for each pair one) where you
> can choose which pairs to use. The cables come in 1, 2 or 4 pairs with
> rj11 or rj45 or even audio or coax etc on the other side.
> We had it in part at the greenpeace headquaters in Amsterdam. It could
> be it's only available her in the Netherlands.
>
> Tot mails,
>   Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>
> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
> Het eeuwige dilemma
> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>
> De lerende Mens
> --

Category 7 cable and connectors are available, but the standard has yet
to be approved.
Either way, it's rather a moot point currently, as currently, the
highest common switch in the consumer realm is only gigabit.
Still, it'll be an interesting world when we get 10 gigabit or greater
to the desktop!

We used something quite similar with category 5 and 6 cabling in the US
DoD, as the cable and connectors had to be shielded.
Then, ran through sealed conduit and a bunch of other requirements for
TEMPEST standards.