[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HDTV?

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Wed Dec 31 01:05:18 UTC 2014

> On 31 Dec 2014, at 6:01 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>

>> Wrong! (1) I have a gallaxy tab that is a 10? LED TV. (2) Samsung also sell a top end 55? OLED TV (presumably the price premimum for 55? makes it worthwhile where as the price for a 40? is too high to be competitive (yet))
>
> Well, I would argue that you are using a tablet to watch TV (i.e. television programs) but that as far as a traditional TV (television device) - one that you can set up at a distance and watch from a couch - there is no such thing as LED.  And I don't think the O.P. was looking for a 10" tablet to replace his SD TV.
>
> And as far as OLED, I stated parenthetically in the next paragraph that it wasn't practical.  And by practical, I meant practical to afford.  The OLED problem as I understand it is one of yield and that causes the manufacturing process to very expensive and that cost is passed on to the buyer.  Which either makes it so it is too expensive to be practical (I thought it was LG that released the OLED but maybe it is Samsung - can't remember which) or that the manufacturer doesn't even bother releasing the device to the public yet.  Besides, I see LED and OLED as two different concepts but maybe since there is no such thing as an LED TV, you could argue that OLED is the LED for TV - that is just a matter of semantics, though.
>
> So taken together, where a TV is a traditional box sitting on a cabinet or hung on a wall (and not a tablet) and that OLED is not LED, my original statement stands: there is no such thing as an LED TV.  Despite what the labels on the TVs in stores indicate.

Actually Ken, just wearing my engineering cap and being a pedantic old fart, OLED is just a manufacturing technique to make LEDs. OLED LEDs are the same as any other LEDs (actually they are not wear charateristics vary between colours) but standing at 1 pace with whatever light measuring equipment you choose OLEDs are the same as any other LEDs
James