[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Paul Netherwood pnetherwood at email.com
Mon Dec 29 15:11:37 UTC 2014

>>> Yes, that's another one of the unhelpful comments that are all to
>>> common on this list.
>>
>> It's a perfectly serious question. Why don't you do something positive
>> for the project for a change.
>> Paul H.
>
> Paul, while this definitely is a perfectly serious question, it is not a question to be discussed on this (public) list! There are personal decisions to be made (including prioritizing weightings of other private/open source projects one is working for) that are not to be discussed with multiple people or even in a public list.
>
> Additionally, while it does is a serious question, this does not say that it is not an unhelpful comment! In my opinion it is both at the same time.
>
> Why it is an unhelpful comment?
> Because it provides no additional information on the original topic. It is a classical "topic escaper".
>
> What would be helpful instead?

I think what is helpful to developers in general are usage scenarios (i.e. use cases). The more usecases a developer has the more likely he can accommodate as many views as possible whilst accepting you can't please everyone. So hear's my use case for MythVideo;

I use folders to organise my video collection; e.g.

Movies
Kids Movies
Classics
TV Shows

Each one has further sub folders, e.g. TV Shows only has folders in it  and each folder often contains folders for each season. e.g.
TV Shows/Breaking Bad/Season 1
...                   Season 2

etc

With the new them in Gallery mode I don't get to see any of the nice artwork until I get to the end of the tree. So I'm seeing screens full of clapper boards until I get to the folders with the videos in. This is not as visually appealing as it was before. The question I'd ask is why do you need to visually see that its a folder? e.g. you click on the Star Wars image and then six more images appear with Star Wars 1-6 titles I think its pretty clear to use what's going on without knowing that the first image was actually a folder.

Anyway that's my use case which Thomas can take away what he likes. In any case, great work Thomas and thanks for all of your many years of effort.

Paul N