[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

georgia_tech_swagger georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 23:13:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 1:28 AM, georgia_tech_swagger <
georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the NEC chipset PCI-E x1 card installed.
>
> # lspci | grep NEC
> 0a:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
> 0a:00.1 USB controller: NEC Corporation OHCI USB Controller (rev 43)
> 0a:00.2 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD72010x USB 2.0 Controller (rev
> 04)
>
> I have the HD-PVR plugged into it ... no difference.  If anything,
> slightly worse.

Well .... I surrender.  I am redeploying my old X58 platform as a MythTV
backend only.   I'll keep retrying on the X99 maybe once a year or so.   To
those searching and finding this thread... I'd operate under the assumption
that the HD-PVR is broken for all Linux kernels (from at least 3.12.x to
3.18.1) on all Asus X99 chipset motherboards, as they all share VERY
similar chips and features.   Until somebody proves otherwise (Google shows
no confirmed cases), assume the X99 chipset itself just doesn't work with
the HD-PVR on at least the aforementioned kernel version ranges.   If you
are trying to debug this problem yourself ... I've found 3.17.6 is the
least crappiest of the kernel versions I tried, with 3.18.0 and 3.18.1
failing to boot entirely on my machine.