[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR trials and tribulations.

georgia_tech_swagger georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 18:02:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM, georgia_tech_swagger <
georgia.tech.swagger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well .... I surrender.  I am redeploying my old X58 platform as a MythTV
> backend only.   I'll keep retrying on the X99 maybe once a year or so.   To
> those searching and finding this thread... I'd operate under the assumption
> that the HD-PVR is broken for all Linux kernels (from at least 3.12.x to
> 3.18.1) on all Asus X99 chipset motherboards, as they all share VERY
> similar chips and features.   Until somebody proves otherwise (Google shows
> no confirmed cases), assume the X99 chipset itself just doesn't work with
> the HD-PVR on at least the aforementioned kernel version ranges.   If you
> are trying to debug this problem yourself ... I've found 3.17.6 is the
> least crappiest of the kernel versions I tried, with 3.18.0 and 3.18.1
> failing to boot entirely on my machine.

Works like a charm put back on the X58 system.  I will say after all this,
I noticed something that happens on the X58 system.  After a few minutes
... typically when it would lock up on the X99 system ... there is a
momentary stutter in the video.  Maybe a half second tops.  I think that is
when it locks up on X99 but for whatever reason keeps chugging on on X58.
So it is a hardware/firmware issue with the HD-PVR itself ... but it is
handled gracefully on X58 and not so gracefully on X99.