[mythtv-users] Preventing a file transfer from saturating the network

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 16:53:49 UTC 2014

First of all check your system logs to see if there are any errors,
always best to rule that out before making changes to an otherwise
working system.

After that, here are a couple of likely problem sources the two most
likely that I can think of are network, and disk throughput saturation.

On the network side, the simplest solution is to add a second network
card and dedicate it to the HDHR, thus separating the regular network
traffic and the HDHR traffic.

On the disk side, I would expect to see errors in dmesg or
/var/log/messages, but not always. You could always alter the file
transfer so that it uses rsync (or something similar) to throttle the
network throughput of the file transfer. With rsync, you would use the
--bwlimit option to limit the data transfer rate, this may also be a
short term work-around until you get that 2nd network card!

Cheers
Gordon