[mythtv-users] Preventing a file transfer from saturating the network

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Dec 23 16:06:37 UTC 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 07:11:18 -0800, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an issue that's happened frequently enough to finally find a
>fix.  If I transfer across my network to my MythTV box, whatever is
>being recorded or on LiveTV will be completely pixelized and
>corrupted.  I suspect I'm maxing out my network bandwidth and the
>transfer it taking precedence over my HDHomerun network tuner.
>
>During a file transfer i typically get between 85MB/s and 110MB/s
>across the network.  My two computers are 1000Mb/s and the HDHomerun
>is 100Mb/s.  There are no issues if I'm watching something that has
>been recorded and it's only when I'm watch live or a playback from
>when a file transfer occurred.
>
>I'm suspecting this is QOS related but I've never played with those
>settings.  Would this be in my router or my MythTV box?
>
>Thanks!

QOS is not going to help unless the HDHomerun is setting the QOS field
in the headers of the packets it is sending, or the traffic from it is
sent through a router that can add the QOS setting.  More expensive
switches can then use the QOS settings to prioritise traffic, but most
home networks do not have a switch that can do that.  You could put
the HDHomerun on a port of a router that added the QOS setting into
the headers before sending the packets on to the QOS capable switch
and then to your MythTV box, but buying a router to do that is
probably overkill.  If you wanted to go that route, I would recommend
something like a Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite as being very cheap and able
to do that job:

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

See here for someone else who has done some work on enabling QOS on an
HDHomerun with MythTV:

http://mythtvblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/enabling-quality-of-service-for.html

Most likely the best solution for you is just to add another Ethernet
port to your MythTV box and connect your Ethernet tuner(s) only on
that port.  I really think that the advertising material for any
Ethernet tuner should be recommending that setup to anyone they sell
their tuners to, as this is an obvious problem that will happen to
anyone who copies files on the same Ethernet port.