[mythtv-users] mythbuntu theme 28.16

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Mon Dec 22 03:07:02 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> On 21/12/2014 6:40 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 6:26 AM, John Finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is that a change made at the request of one user without
>>> checking with other users seems odd. If you are going to make a change of
>>> such magnitude wouldn't it seem logical to check with other users to see
>>> if
>>> that would seem too disruptive? It seems strange that you would make a
>>> change that satisfied one user but alienated dozens of users.
>>
>> Asserting facts not in evidence (i.e. the number of people
>> who thought it was good vs bad)(*), and, regardless, your
>> opinion (or my opinion) is not really relevant.  The only
>> persons' opinion that matters is the creator/owner/artist
>> who has to please only himself.  If it is appreciated by
>> others, so much the better, but it is not a requirement.
>> And nothing is forcing you to use that particular theme.
>> Just as the author has free choice, so you do too.
>>
>> It seems to me that since you have such strong opinions
>> regarding doing it better you should fork the theme and
>> show everyone how well the process and result can be
>> done.  That is the beauty of open source.  If you want it
>> different, and you and the original author do not share the
>> same vision, you can just go do it.  No one is standing in
>> your way, and you should have plenty of help based on
>> your claims of numbers of alienation.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> (*) And there is a selection bias.  Those that do not
>> like something tend to complain/criticize/object,
>> while those that like it, or are ambivalent, tend to be
>> quiet (the silent majority).
>
> Or the group of people that are wary of expressing there opinion because of
> all to often statement like "The only persons' opinion that matters is the
> creator/owner/artist who has to please only himsel", "If you want it
> different, and you and the original author do not share the same vision, you
> can just go do it", and "The change went though the normal approval process
> ( I approved it )".  Statements like these are not helpful either.
>
> If you are only developing for yourself, then you would keep it to yourself.
> As you are not being paid or forced to do any development, and your work is
> being committed to the public arena, then you are looking for some sort of
> gratification, and should be expecting some negative feedback.

This is a false assumption. Just because I release something doesn't
mean I am looking for some sort of gratification. If you've followed
this list for any amount of time, then you'll definitely agree that I
(the sole Mythbuntu theme developer) am not looking for gratification
(unless I'm a Masochist).

>As is human
> nature, you generally receive four times the negative feedback than you do
> positive feedback.  How you handle negative (and positive) feedback is
> entirely up to the relevant developer, but to attack someone for expressing
> their view is entirely uncalled for.

People can express their views all they want, but don't be offended
when people ask what you don't like about the changes.

> I have not seen anybody demand that the theme be returned to its prior
> state, merely suggestions that the way the theme(s) are released could be
> improved.

Perhaps not in this particular thread (although I've been told in this
thread repeatedly that I need to split off into a new theme if I want
to do any changes).

I suppose I could change how I release theme updates. Would you like
to be on the board of directors?

> Personally I (and my family) dislike all the themes that use the rotating
> around the central position style of layout in the video's section  (like
> Mythbuntu theme has recently switched to, and several others use).  So I
> *choose* not to use these themes.  By the number of themes using this style
> my view is clearly a minority (amongst theme developers anyway), which is
> pushing me (and my family) to using an alternative product for frontend use.

Any particular reason you don't like that? Also, there are different
views for the videos section.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos