[mythtv-users] Ouch...burned recording NFL game on invisible channels

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 22:35:30 UTC 2014

Yow...I think I just got burned by way of, what I guess might be
called an "undocumented feature" ;).  I figured I'd warn anyone else
who might try this:

Here's my situation:  I'm in NJ and record NY OTA channels.  I can
also get Philly if I turn my antenna.  For that reason I have all the
Philly stations set as invisible.

The only time I tend to ever record Philly is when there's an NFS game
that's not on the NY stations.  What I used to do in that case was to
temporarily set the station as visible and then schedule the recording
after turning the antenna.

Since you can manually tune invisible channels from live TV I recently
decided to see what would happen if I just hit record from there.  As
I expected, it started recording...but I also wanted to make sure that
I could change the recording options etc from other screens.  The
latter was important because I always add time to NFL games as the
almost always run late.  Sure enough it let me do so, so I thought I'd
found a great shortcut.  Not so much:

While it in fact let me do all that and looked like everything was OK,
at the scheduled end time of the game, the system rescheduled and
apparently stopped the record once rule with a "not listed" status!
Ouch.  I missed the deciding minutes of the Lions game.

Maybe others know if there's any work around to that, but I doubt it.
The schedulers behavior of skipping the invisible channels is in fact
exactly what I expect/want...I just didn't think it would mess with
those.  In the future I know to just set them as visible as I used to.

Tom