[mythtv-users] Troubleshooting Airplay

Max Barry mythtv at maxbarry.com
Tue Dec 2 23:02:00 UTC 2014

On Dec 2, 2014, 11:36 AM, jyavenard at gmail wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 2, 2014, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven [at] cogeco> wrote:
>>
>> The mythtvtalk thread mentions some voodoo (installing/disabling a backend
>> on the machine) that I think is irrelevant. Did you do that? Maybe JYA can
>> confirm.

No, I didn't do any of that. I did try fiddling with the IP addresses in
mythtv-setup for a while (details below), but when that didn't help, I
focused on getting IPv6 enabled.

> The only thing that would help is starting mythtv-setup, and changing the
> IP (v4 and v6) settings so IPv6 is enabled on the front end and so the
> AirPlay server knows where to listen on.
>
> Most of the time that shouldn't be necessary as by default it appears to
> use a link-local address (starts with fe80)

I saw some posts saying something similar, e.g.:

http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-December/344587.html

... but I couldn't get that to work. Firstly, I started up mythtv-setup
and made sure that "Use link-local" was checked. It was, but I guess
this was pointless since IPv6 wasn't supported on my wireless network
adapter.

Then as per that post, I tried to clear any IP addresses set in
mythtv-setup, but this wasn't possible: the field only let me flip
between 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.0.4, not enter a custom value or delete
what was there. (I guess because that advice is from 2012 and things
have since changed?) I tried flipping it, and then even went into the
mythconverg database's 'settings' table and tried manually deleting
IP-related entries, but mythfrontend said it couldn't connect to the
backend, and AirPlay still didn't work, so I reset it back to 127.0.0.1.

Then I got IPv6 enabled on my wireless adapter, and everything started
working, so I stopped experimenting.

I think there must be one of two scenarios:

SCENARIO 1: I missed a setting that would have allowed the frontend to
connect to the backend over 192.168.0.4, and then AirPlay would have
worked over IPv4 even in the absence of IPv6. In this scenario, the
mythtvtalk thread is wrong (or at least out-of-date) to say, "For
Airplay to work, MythTV must listen on the IPv6 link-local addresses
(fe80:: )", and in fact all that is required is EITHER:

 (a) A non-localhost IP address in mythtv-setup, i.e. not 127.0.01; OR

 (b) IPv6 support on the network adapter and [X] Link-local checked in
mythtv-setup

SCENARIO 2: IPv6 really is required for AirPlay to work, in which case
the AirPlay wiki page should probably say so, and the IPv6 wiki page
probably shouldn't say, "To be clear, enabling IPv6 isn't required for
successful operation of MythTV."

Either way, I will update the wiki; just want to be clear on the facts.

Incidentally, although audio streaming via AirPlay is working perfectly,
video (even from iOS7 devices) only gets as far as a still picture on
mythfrontend, then it announces a client disconnect... could this be
because AirPlay needs to listen over IPv4 *as well*, or is that irrelevant?

Thanks,

Max.