[mythtv-users] Yet another silly action to drive the mythbox crazy

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Aug 21 22:54:30 UTC 2014

On 8/21/2014 4:32 PM, Nicolas Krzywinski wrote:
> - The "there are so much side effects when implementing reserved space"
> topic
> My guess is that there are different ideas of the dimensions for a
> reserved space. I understand all those doubts that rank around fast
> changing environmental conditions, taking into account the parallel
> activity of auto expire and so on.
> But my idea of a reserved space, a recording should never fill up, is
> around some megabytes - maybe 20, 50, ... 80 ? Not more!

On rotating storage, limited free space is going to cause heavy
fragmentation, heavy seeking, and reduced performance and lifespan. On
solid state storage, limited free space is going to cause write
amplification as the drive continuously has to shuffled data around, and
reduced performance and lifespan.

There is never any good reason to leave that little free space available.