[mythtv-users] How to tell whether MythBuntu installation is 64-bit or 32-bit?

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Wed Apr 9 08:12:26 UTC 2014

---- On Wed, 09 Apr 2014 00:40:38 +0100 Craig Huff  wrote ----

>I'm asking on the theory that the only stupid question is the one not
>asked, although I'm not feeling especially brilliant at the moment.
>
>I don't recall that the install asked whether to install 32- or 64-bit
>and I don't recall that I had an option when I downloaded the install
>iso, either, but my memory isn't exactly perfect either.
>
>So, how do I tell which I have? The output of "uname -a" includes the
>text "i686 athlon i386" so that doesn't really help me out.
>
>Why do I care, you might ask. The answer is that I want to install a
>package and I have to choose which .deb to download, the 32-bit or the
>64-bit version.
>
>Thanks for helping to make me at least a milliwatt brighter. ;-)
>
>--
>Craig.

I'm 99% sure uname -a will only show you the currently installed OS setup. I am on the understanding that if you have 64bit hardware, but 32bit OS installed, then it'll show up as 32bit.
what you could do is run:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep "model name"

then do a search for if this cpu is 64bit compliant. for example, i have the intel E6550 as my BE hardware processor, so going to ark.intel.com shows that my 'instruction set' is 64-bit. http://ark.intel.com/products/30783/Intel-Core2-Duo-Processor-E6550-4M-Cache-2_33-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB?q=e6550