[mythtv-users] How to tell whether MythBuntu installation is 64-bit or 32-bit?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Apr 9 06:01:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, 9 Apr 2014 15:11:34 +0930, you wrote:

>> For a 64-bit install, you want to download the amd64 .iso file.  If
>> you have not gone too far with your existing setup, I would recommend
>> starting again with a 64-bit install.  There is now much more support
>> for 64-bit than 32-bit and using 64-bit avoids some nasty problems,
>> such as running out of a certain type of address space when you add a
>> new tuner card.
>Can I have some more info on this issue please? I have a 32bit system that I have just added two more physical tuners to (now 6 physical + 4 extra virtual tuners per physical means 30 tuners total).
>
>Doesn't 64bit OS require hardware that supports 64bit?

Yes, the only really good reason for using a 32-bit Linux these days
is if your hardware is only 32-bit.

When adding physical tuners, on a 32-bit system you can run out of the
address space used for doing I/O to the cards.  There is a kernel
option to adjust the mapping of the address space between the I/O
space and the other uses of the addresses, but increasing the I/O
space reduces other things.  I had this problem back when I added a
second Hauppauge PVR-500 card to my 32-bit system, and the error
message I got at the time was good for a Google search to find the
fix.  But that was a very long time ago now, so I have forgotten the
exact details.

If you are not getting error messages after adding new physical
tuners, then you do not have this problem (yet).  It is only going to
happen for tuners that use I/O space, ie PCI or PCIe cards.