[mythtv-users] Humming Noise coming from LCD tv

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Apr 4 14:21:58 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> I have always found that the loudest fan in my PCs was the one on the
> video card.  So now I only buy silent video cards for my MyhtTV boxes.
> I think there is at least one silent Nvidia 630 card available at
> present which should do everything necessary for MythTV.  The downside
> of silent video cards is that almost all of them take up two
> motherboard slots due to the big heatsinks.  Of course, quite a few of
> the higher powered video cards with fans also take two slots now too.
> If a silent video card only takes one slot, it is probably not good
> enough for what MythTV needs for VDPAU with the best deinterlace of
> 1080i.
>
> I also buy quality power supplies - they have fan speed control and
> usually have things like heat pipes to help the cooling rather than
> relying on the fans to do all the work.  And the top spec power
> supplies are more efficient, so they lose less power in the power
> supply and hence generate less heat, which means they can run their
> fans slower.  There are even some fanless power supplies for lower
> power multimedia boxes, but you need to be careful with them as some
> cases rely on the power supply fan for part of their airflow
> requirements.

The PC I use as a frontend in my bedroom has quiet parts that allow me
to leave it on an still sleep in the room.

Fanless power supply:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182169

Fanless video:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500298

Fanless CPU heatsink:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887001

Plus a solid state disk, and one quiet case fan to move some air.

It's not cheap, but it is possible to get a quiet PC and still not
skimp too much on performance.

Eric