[mythtv-users] schedules direct issues when running as non root

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 12:54:26 UTC 2014

On Apr 4, 2014 8:25 AM, "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 04/03/2014 07:55 PM, Tony Guadagno wrote:
>>

>> hi, I have been reading a lot about the recent issues with schedules
direct, I have an issue but I am not sure its the same one.  about 2 weeks
ago, I noticed that I was not getting updates.  After working with it for a
while, I realized that if I run mythfilldatabase as my mythtv user, it
seems to suceed but no schedule updates appear...If I run as root, it works
fine.  This was not always the case

>> I have output logs for each, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> thanks in advance.
>>
>> log when running as mythuser
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194368/
>>
>> Log when running as root
>> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194369/
>

> Best advice for everyone:
>
> If you think you may have this problem, update to current
0.27-fixes--which doesn't have the problem.

> That said, if you were to run mythfilldatabase successfully once, you
would continue to get the "no updates" message (at least***) until TMS
updated its database.  Therefore the "no updates" message you got was
probably due to running it successfully at least once before.

> And now, for the answer to your question, yes, you are affected.  You're
running 0.27 release, not 0.27-fixes, so you have a version of MythTV that
requires you to always run mythfilldatabase as the user running mythbackend
and never as root.  So, the *proper* fix is to upgrade to 0.27-fixes.

> Mike
>
> *** If you're using --dd-grab-all, it would be until TMS updated its
database.  If you're not, you may continue getting the message even after
TMS updates their database for up to a day.  See

> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
> and
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416
>
> for more about --dd-grab-all, which you (and everyone else) should
consider using with Schedules Direct unless you have an underpowered master
backend/mysql server.

--dd-grab-all gives me 16 days instead of 14 days without it.