[mythtv-users] schedules direct issues when running as non root

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Apr 4 12:25:04 UTC 2014

On 04/03/2014 07:55 PM, Tony Guadagno wrote:

> hi, I have been reading a lot about the recent issues with schedules
> direct, I have an issue but I am not sure its the same one.  about 2
> weeks ago, I noticed that I was not getting updates.  After working
> with it for a while, I realized that if I run mythfilldatabase as my
> mythtv user, it seems to suceed but no schedule updates appear...If I
> run as root, it works fine.  This was not always the case
>
> I have output logs for each, can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> log when running as mythuser
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194368/
>
> Log when running as root
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/7194369/

Best advice for everyone:

If you think you may have this problem, update to current
0.27-fixes--which doesn't have the problem.

That said, if you were to run mythfilldatabase successfully once, you
would continue to get the "no updates" message (at least***) until TMS
updated its database.  Therefore the "no updates" message you got was
probably due to running it successfully at least once before.

And now, for the answer to your question, yes, you are affected.  You're
running 0.27 release, not 0.27-fixes, so you have a version of MythTV
that requires you to always run mythfilldatabase as the user running
mythbackend and never as root.  So, the *proper* fix is to upgrade to
0.27-fixes.

Mike

*** If you're using --dd-grab-all, it would be until TMS updated its
database.  If you're not, you may continue getting the message even
after TMS updates their database for up to a day.  See

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/449426#449426
and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/449416#449416

for more about --dd-grab-all, which you (and everyone else) should
consider using with Schedules Direct unless you have an underpowered
master backend/mysql server.