[mythtv-users] 0.27 - Frontend locking on Video playback

Lincoln lincoln at performaplus.co.nz
Tue Oct 29 22:37:37 UTC 2013

On 30/10/2013 9:32 a.m., Jeff Hatfield wrote:
> Wondering if anyone else is having this problem or knows of something
> to try?
>
> I'm running a combined FE/BE on Ubuntu 12.04 32 bit and 0.27 fixes
> from the MythBuntu repository.  Using the default ATI/AMD proprietary
> FGLRX graphics driver.
>
> I recently upgraded from .25 to .26 (everything worked) and then a
> week later to .27 and started to experience a problem.
>
> When playing back video and I hit escape or the video reaches the end
> of the file the Frontend locks up.  The video plays fine otherwise.
>
> This problem happens on both live TV and recordings.  Once it locks up
> most of the keys won't work.  i.e. I can't  Ctrl/Alt Right arrow to
> switch to another desktop.  I can do Crtl/Alt F1 to get out to a
> terminal and reboot the machine.
>
> Needless to say the WAF is tanking (after many years of this she
> cringes whenever I start talking about doing an upgrade :-).
>
> Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff

This doesn't fix the problem but helped my parents a lot:
I enabled mythwelcome and configured the power button on their remote
control to execute 'pkill mythfrontend' from irexec, this way whenever
mythfrontend crashes the power button kills the frontend and they are
taken back to mythwelcome. Its better than having to bring up a terminal
each time :-/