[mythtv-users] VAAPI / OpenGL and myth 0.26 - black screen on playback

Andrey Zhunev a-j at a-j.ru
Fri Oct 4 20:59:06 UTC 2013

Hello George,

Saturday, October 5, 2013, 12:21:16 AM, you wrote:

> When you finally get vaapi working you’ll have a graphics stack
> that likes to crash. Myth regularly goes down with linked list
> corruption or some other kind of malloc related error. I know people
> like the post processing filters the nvidia driver offers and those
> are missing with intel’s driver. Most of my recordings are north
> american high definition broadcasts which don’t need improving so
> filters aren’t important to me.  Another plus is I find the intel
> decoder does wonders with reversing pulldown which I appreciate.
> It’s a mixed bag of plus and minus.

NVidia / VDPAU was hanging from time to time (when video is paused),
so I thought I will try Intel / VAAPI, since I have the hardware
already in place.
I didn't see any issues with VAAPI so far, but it's too early to be
sure - I only have it working for a couple of hours yet.

Yes, I believe the picture quality looked a bit better with VDPAU. But
in my particular case it's a small screen (kitchen TV), so I can live
with that, as long as my stand-alone frontend is still on VDPAU. :)

> The reason I went with intel for video is to have one less device
> generating heat and fan noise in my case and also I like the idea of
> having totally open source graphics. So far the crashing hasn’t
> annoyed me enough to switch but that could change. This isn’t to
> dissuade you but just to say it isn’t like there’s some perfumed
> garden waiting when you get things working. If you’re going to run
> vaapi you really have to feel generous towards intel.

I understand your point, and I appreciate you sharing your experience!

I left my Myth on a LiveTV 1080i channel for the night, just to
see if VAAPI is stable enough. I'll see it tomorrow morning.
In any case, if there are issues - I can easily go back to
NVidia-based solution. That path is already known. :)

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

--
Best regards,
 Andrey