[mythtv-users] Special needs dad with MythTV hardware questions

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sun Nov 24 13:33:36 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM,  <mythtv-users.jim-j at mamber.net> wrote:
>> ....  If I no one is willing to throw me
>> a bone I may have to go through the shameful process of buying a Tivo
>> Roamio instead. :’(
>
> I am a proponent of MythTV, but sometimes, other things
> just have to have higher priority.  Your special needs child
> probably needs, and probably deserves, as much time as
> you can provide.  If you want an additional hobby, or need
> a distraction, MythTV could be it.  Sometimes you *do*
> need that other activity to stay sane.

And while any DVR allows watching TV on your time schedule, MythTV, as
a hobby, is also fairly schedule flexible.

You may never reach the point where you say "My MythTV is perfect,
there's no tweak left that could possibly improve it after this
point.", but all of those tweaks can wait.  It's not like being on a
sports team and needing to meet up with other people at specified
times.  If a child suddenly needs you *now*, you go to the child now,
and worry about improving remote control latency tomorrow, or next
week, or next month.  Unless your power supply just caught fire, it
can wait.

Eric