[mythtv-users] 3d mkv on 2d tv

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Sat Nov 23 09:37:13 UTC 2013

On 23 Nov 2013, at 07:04, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> I have a 3d mkv that displays in mythtv as two images (top/bottom).  I
> don't have a 3d set, yet, but I would still like to be able to watch
> this.  Is there a way to tell mythtv to only display one of the images
> stretched as though it was a full 1080p picture?
>
> How do you folks with 3d tv's watch your 3d content on a 2d set?  Or
> do you have to have 3d sets in every room (or two copies of every
> movie)?

If you have 3D Blurays ripped and stored as mvs in mkv (makemkv does this) then a 2D capable player just sees a regular h264 file and plays in 2D, a mvs capable player (Mede8er is the only one right now I think) will decode the additional 3D information and produce a frame packed, 3D signalled output to drive a 3DTV.

There's an additional benefit in that 3D requires a higher quality image otherwise artefacts can break up the 3D effect, so even if you don't have a 3DTV watching the 3D Bluray rips can give a better quality image.

All this side by side or top and bottom 3D means you need a 3D capable player or TV just to watch it in 2D! Oh and usually at greatly reduced quality too.

Andre