[mythtv-users] Question on Recordings background

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 22 15:48:56 UTC 2013

On 11/22/2013 09:25 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> Just remember that you may still need to turn off the downloading of
>> metadata, otherwise it will be filling up your hard disk and costing
>> you on your Internet connection.  On the day I did my 0.27 upgrade,
>> due to the bug that prevented the disable option from working, I had
>> over 1 Gibyte of metadata downloaded into /var/lib/mythtv
> I consider a gigabyte to be negligible these days.  That's what, about
> 12 minutes of video at typical cable tv rates?
>
> Turning off metadata downloading is not a general solution to the
> problem of wanting a theme without a display of background images.  If
> you have multiple frontends and don't want the same theme on each one,
> then you need to have metadata downloading on if any theme is to use
> it.
>
> Eric

Actually, Zig's post about an altered xml file he did solved the problem
right off. It addresses a couple of issues really.

1. Not wanting a background fan art on the recorded show page.
2. Scrolling backwards thru the alphabetized listing of recorded shows.

This fix is for the "classic" wide version theme. My hat is off to Zig
for sending me the file. It was basically plug N play.

As for the 1GB of fanart, I can handle that with the storage I have
right now. My internet connection is thru comcast so the download doesnt
bother me that much either. However, Its good to know about turning off
the fanart. Some may find this a good solution - Therefore, Good to mention.

I really like the improvements moving from .26 to .27. The only problem
I have ever had (mythbuntu) is when I have to reboot the system
mythbackend will sometimes not run or will be slow to allow the frontend
to connect. Thus, I get "cannot connect to backend". But if I let it sit
a bit it will connect. Not a big problem because I do not reboot alot.

Zig, If your reading this - Thanks for the tweeked xml file :)

coffee