[mythtv-users] Archive to DVD - time format error

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Mon Nov 18 19:50:08 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 08:54:11AM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:

> Glad you're making some sort of progress.  I don't know why others
> haven't seen the prettyxml effect.  Prettification  happened just
> before 0.27 release and was part-cause of the garbling of the DVD
> .iso title. It made the xml file much easier to inspect :-)
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/552388#552388

ah.

I see they addressed this particular thing by removing whitespace from
the title with strip(), but I would opine that that needs to be done for
other elements too, at least in the cases where accessing/parsing those
data elements doesn't include ignoring such whitespace (as evidently
the date parsing does not).

Readability is nice unless it alters the data. Perhaps an external
pretty-print could be used when readability is desired, then one
wouldn't have to worry about such things, or whether leading/trailing
whitespace is actually intended to be part of the stored data, etc.

mm