[mythtv-users] Archive to DVD - time format error

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Nov 18 08:54:11 UTC 2013

On 18/11/13 05:34, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:35:24PM -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
>> Later, that file is read back into a DOM object. The starttime string
>> is not the original one generated, but the one read from the info.xml file.
>> And sure enough, in the info.xml file, I see
>>
>>      <starttime>
>>          2013-11-14T18:14:00-05:00
>>      </starttime>
>>
>> Since it matches the string with the "junk" mentioned above, I strongly
>> suspect that this is where it comes from.
>>
>> I also suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg. I would think that even
>> if we got past the problem with this string, other strings garnered from
>> that info.xml file would also be problematic.
>>
>> So why am I the only one seeing this? Do I have an inferior minidom
>> implementation that doesn't strip blanks? Is there aa problem with the
>> way info.xml is written in a "pretty" format instead of tightly packed?
>
> In fact googling suggests that this is a common problem with minidom
> and prettyxml encoding.
>
> I tried changing the xml from pretty format to compact, i.e. in the
> WriteXMLToFIle function I changed
>
>      f.write(myDOM.toprettyxml(indent="    ", encoding="UTF-8"))
>      f.write(myDOM.toxml(encoding="UTF-8"))
>
> Now indeed it gets past the date problem. Next it ran into the mythencode
> problem mentioned earlier in this thread (#11758). After applying that
> patch again, mythencode ran successfully, but then mythffmpeg got into a
> hard loop of some sort after it seemingly finished, constantly and
> rapidly writing lines into its passlog file.
>
> At least it's a different problem now. I'll try poking at it more later
> or tomorrow.
>
> mm

Glad you're making some sort of progress.  I don't know why others
haven't seen the prettyxml effect.  Prettification  happened just before
0.27 release and was part-cause of the garbling of the DVD .iso title.
It made the xml file much easier to inspect :-)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/552388#552388

John