[mythtv-users] Archive to DVD - time format error

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Mon Nov 18 05:34:50 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 09:35:24PM -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
> Later, that file is read back into a DOM object. The starttime string
> is not the original one generated, but the one read from the info.xml file.
> And sure enough, in the info.xml file, I see
>
>     <starttime>
>         2013-11-14T18:14:00-05:00
>     </starttime>
>
> Since it matches the string with the "junk" mentioned above, I strongly
> suspect that this is where it comes from.
>
> I also suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg. I would think that even
> if we got past the problem with this string, other strings garnered from
> that info.xml file would also be problematic.
>
> So why am I the only one seeing this? Do I have an inferior minidom
> implementation that doesn't strip blanks? Is there aa problem with the
> way info.xml is written in a "pretty" format instead of tightly packed?

In fact googling suggests that this is a common problem with minidom
and prettyxml encoding.

I tried changing the xml from pretty format to compact, i.e. in the
WriteXMLToFIle function I changed

    f.write(myDOM.toprettyxml(indent="    ", encoding="UTF-8"))
    f.write(myDOM.toxml(encoding="UTF-8"))

Now indeed it gets past the date problem. Next it ran into the mythencode
problem mentioned earlier in this thread (#11758). After applying that
patch again, mythencode ran successfully, but then mythffmpeg got into a
hard loop of some sort after it seemingly finished, constantly and
rapidly writing lines into its passlog file.

At least it's a different problem now. I'll try poking at it more later
or tomorrow.

mm