[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Jon N jdnandroid at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 01:46:38 UTC 2013

I have considered a few other distro, but need to learn more about the
what their desktops are like.  This will also be my main PC for
internet/email and whatever (occasional) other things that come along.
 For the Nvidia drivers I download them directly from Nvidia.  I'm not
sure what the difference is between doing that and  through the
package management.

As far as the audio through the HDMI after some more browsing around I
am under the impression that the Intel HD Video in the processor may
work just fine and I will not have to add a discrete video card.  But
at least this topic may have helped some others who didn't know, and I
really like knowing I have the option should I need it.  Once I get it
set up and tested (which probably won't be for 3 or 4 weeks) I will
post my results.

I was going to go back to the Debian list and post the specific
motherboard make/model to see if anyone has any problems with it,
would it make much sense to do that  here?

Thanks,
Jon

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (I was surprised debian allow a nvidia proprietary package, but there
>> you go).
>
> Technically, they don't.  Debian proper, the core OS, is 100% free
> software.  Packages like the nvidia proprietary drivers are forbidden.
>  However, Debian archives host a selection of "non-free" addon
> software which can work with Debian.  The nvidia drivers and similar
> packages go in there, but from a typical Debian user's point of view,
> the division between the Debian main and non-free sections is easily
> ignored.
>
> Eric

Jon