[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 05:50:10 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Jon N <jdnandroid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have considered a few other distro, but need to learn more about the
> what their desktops are like.

Stick with what you know :)

>This will also be my main PC for
> internet/email and whatever (occasional) other things that come along.
>  For the Nvidia drivers I download them directly from Nvidia.  I'm not
> sure what the difference is between doing that and  through the
> package management.

Easier adding, removal etc. I prefer to stick with my distros
packaging system, but plenty of people successfully download and use
the packages direct from nvidia.

> As far as the audio through the HDMI after some more browsing around I
> am under the impression that the Intel HD Video in the processor may
> work just fine and I will not have to add a discrete video card.

Yes audio over HDMI also works in intel, but if you want HD Audio you
will need at least kernel 3.10. (If you are talking broadcast TV this
is a non issue, but may be an issue if you want to play the sort  of
audio you get on bluray or bluray rips (and have an audio system that
handles HD audio).

I have to say that the reports I have seen on Haswell aren't that
complimentary about it's video playback. I am an nvidia man through
and through so in your position I would leave room in the case for an
nvidia card :-)

>  But
> at least this topic may have helped some others who didn't know, and I
> really like knowing I have the option should I need it.  Once I get it
> set up and tested (which probably won't be for 3 or 4 weeks) I will
> post my results.
>
> I was going to go back to the Debian list and post the specific
> motherboard make/model to see if anyone has any problems with it,
> would it make much sense to do that  here?

Both will get you as many opinions as possible (but they will all be different!)