[mythtv-users] Jerky video

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Nov 17 18:36:34 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 07:14 -0800, DaveD wrote:
> On 11/17/2013 01:32 AM, HP-mini wrote:
> > On Sun, 2013-11-17 at 20:06 +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> >> My video playback seems to be a bit jerky. It's not all that
> >> noticeable but it seems to play - very slight pause - play - very
> >> slight pause on a continuous basis. The video card is a Nvidia Geforce
> >> 1GB GT210 Silent Low Profile Graphic Card HDMI DVI VGA HD.
> >>
> >> Recordings are SD DVB-T format.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions for how I can get rid of the mild jerkiness?
> >>
> > Bring up the OSD playback data jitterometer when playing a problem
> > recording.. Check buffered data & frame timing jitter.
> "jitterometer?"  I thought this was a joke, so I googled it.  Like most
> thing Myth, nothing shows up in the wiki or other documentation, but it
> is obviously a feature because there are lots of hits on the source for
> it.  How does one invoke it?
>
> There was another post today from someone as frustrated as myself about
> where to get information.  Documentation is alway sorely out of date.
> I'm guilty.  The immediate requirements are always what one works on and
> catching up on the docs always seems to be the last priority and never
> gets done.  Posting to this list is GREAT (thanks to all!) for solving
> problems and getting info about how to do things, but it's
> after-the-fact.  There are tons of features that are not obvious that
> one could take advantage of if there were a CURRENT list of them somewhere.
>
> Anyway, I'm betting the jitterometer is referred to as something else in
> the docs and/or on screen.  What other features do I not know about?  (a
> rhetorical question)  Are there current docs that might answer these
> questions?  In addition to google, I tried grepping through the docs
> that came with my distro's package (Fedora 17, Myth 0.26) and found
> nothing.  Is the jitterometer a recent addition that's not in 0.26?
>
> Dave D.
>
> __

The jitterometer info is contained in the playback data OSD popup.
- play recording
- <M> to invoke menu
either under advanced or video or somewhere. There aren't too many
choices & you will find lots of useful/interesting features.

Changing the de-interlacing settings could be enlightening.

The playback jitter is also logged if you start the FE with:
mythfrontend -v playback