[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 05:42:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Jon N <jdnandroid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>

>> Support for this is just assumed on all cards with HDMI output.  I
>> don't think I've ever seen an HDMI card that didn't have either native
>> sound support or SPDIF passthrough.
>
> OK, that makes sense.  I guess it was added for just the problem I
> 'thought' I was having.
>>
>>> Maybe I would have to go back the the Debian group for the next
>>> question.
>>
>> Given the quality of their answers so far, I wouldn't recommend that.
>
> Well, I'm a little embarrassed now, maybe I shouldn't be mentioning
> where I'm getting advice from in the future.  They did give me a lot
> of help, and since it's not a group dedicated to audio/video questions
> maybe it wasn't exactly fair to expect them to know this.
>>
>>>  Since I will end up with 2 audio chipsets in the computer,
>>> 1 on the Mobo and 1 on the video card I wondering how to make sure the
>>> one I want gets chosen.
>>
>> You just need to set the appropriate default sound device.  See:
>>
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_output_does_not_work
>>

> Thanks.  I'll have to try out some of the commands once I get home
> just to see what the output is on my current system, even though I
> don't have 2 sets of audio hardware.

I am not sure how a thread about whether audio over hdmi works on
nvidia on linux can go on for so long when the same has been working
for quite a few years now. I always use the nvidia proprietary
drivers, which may present problems on debian. Not sure if it works on
nouveau or nv drivers.

Personally I would ditch debian and go for ubuntu, simply for the
mythtbuntu repos which keep me up to date with mthtv with very little
drama, and for the fact it has the nvidia proprietary drivers able to
be installed 'out of the box'.