[mythtv-users] Shopping for new hardware: Audio & discrete video?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Nov 17 11:27:47 UTC 2013

On 17/11/13 05:42, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM, Jon N <jdnandroid at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Support for this is just assumed on all cards with HDMI output.  I
>>> don't think I've ever seen an HDMI card that didn't have either native
>>> sound support or SPDIF passthrough.
>>
>> OK, that makes sense.  I guess it was added for just the problem I
>> 'thought' I was having.

>>> Given the quality of their answers so far, I wouldn't recommend that.
>>
>> Well, I'm a little embarrassed now, maybe I shouldn't be mentioning
>> where I'm getting advice from in the future.  They did give me a lot
>> of help, and since it's not a group dedicated to audio/video questions
>> maybe it wasn't exactly fair to expect them to know this.

>>> You just need to set the appropriate default sound device.  See:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#HDMI_output_does_not_work
>>>

>> Thanks.  I'll have to try out some of the commands once I get home
>> just to see what the output is on my current system, even though I
>> don't have 2 sets of audio hardware.
>

> I am not sure how a thread about whether audio over hdmi works on
> nvidia on linux can go on for so long when the same has been working
> for quite a few years now. I always use the nvidia proprietary
> drivers, which may present problems on debian. Not sure if it works on
> nouveau or nv drivers.
>
> Personally I would ditch debian and go for ubuntu, simply for the
> mythtbuntu repos which keep me up to date with mthtv with very little
> drama, and for the fact it has the nvidia proprietary drivers able to
> be installed 'out of the box'.

Huh? I'm running Debian and the nvidia drivers are available "out of the box" as
well. It is necessary to make up a skeleton xorg.conf and reboot, but hey. The
exact steps are plainly written down in the Debian wiki.

I have never had any problem getting sound over HDMI, it just works. Now, doing
the converse, getting sound out the stereo sockets when I'm testing a frontend
by using a DVI monitor, that has me stumped.

--

Mike Perkins