[mythtv-users] OFF TOPIC: Text Editor(s) ?

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 01:47:24 UTC 2013

On 11/14/13 8:02 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM, Leif Pihl <leif at pihl.us> wrote:
>> Jeeeeeze.
>> ...and here little old me thought that the "Treker" vrs "Trekie" debate was silly.
> It is a little different than that.  Star Trek fandom rarely more than
> just an occasional hobby.  Even die hard fans who travel cross country
> to attend multiple conventions per year in costume will typically
> spend much less time on Star Trek related activities than a typical
> professional Unix developer/administrator will spend using an editor.
> I received instruction on how to use vi more than 20 years ago, and
> have probably averaged 3-4 hours use per day, every day, since that
> time.  Having mastery of a good editor is important.
>
> Eric

Important?! More like a matter of survival for any administrator.

As was mentioned elsewhere in this thread, vi is also included in many
embedded systems. Though, I had one that did some funky things to the
terminal, once vi was up. Made editing the files in /etc quite an
interesting experience.
Fortunately, a later release fixed whatever terminal sanity issues
caused in that early release.