[mythtv-users] Comcast in Nashua

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 02:13:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM, Stefan Jones <stefan_jones at comcast.net> wrote:
> I've noticed that some of the "HD" channels aren't really. The programs I've
> been recording off of SyFy have been really highly compressed. The networks
> are all in HD.

All the MSOs take what they get (either OTA, satellite, direct data
feed, etc.) and transcode to meet their own requirements.  In my
location the local CBS affiliate has been observed to be higher
quality in real OTA than what the local Comcast franchise transcodes
the content to (the local CBS affiliate uses the entire 8VSB bandwidth
for their single HD stream).  As with all else, your particular franchise
will vary.  And since the term "HD" is loosely defined (just like the
discussions on what is "3G" on mobile networks), many can claim
"HD" even when others might not agree with the term.

Gary