[mythtv-users] frequent 0 byte recording with hd pvr after upgrade to ubuntu 13.10/mythtv 0.27

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Nov 3 16:18:09 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 10:48 AM, Oz Dror wrote:
> Thank you for your detail answer. I suspected that it was some how
> related to the USB3. It seems that it was worse in my USB 3 ports than
> on the 2. I have only 2 USB2 ports. I cannot disable the USB3 ports (I
> need several usb ports). I do not have additional space  for PCI cards.
>
> I have added the debug flag and I am waiting for results. For now the
> only practical solution is to turn the HDPVR Off/On after each
> recording. (because the first or second recordings will work fine
> after turning on/off).
>
> Until there is a fix, is there any way to turn the  hdpvr on/off using
> the software. (unloading/loading the hdpvr module is not enough).
>
> in the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR)  HD-PVR
> killer is mentioned. I was not able to find this program. I was able
> to find only an old link that did not work when I tried to compile.
> (https://github.com/Beirdo/hdpvr-killer)

The hdpvr killer is a hardware usb device made by Gavin Hurlbut. Its
essentially a relay connected to a usb port which allows you to
physically kill the power to the hdpvr.

I'm personally using a four relay phidget
(http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?category=9&product_id=1014_2) that
I already had lying around, though in truth I haven't had to actually
use it in several months now, my old backend was rock solid...
unfortunately it died after 5 1/2 years and had to replace it last
week.  Which is where all my USB 3.0 issues started.  It's worth noting
that the xhci_hcd module is still under fairly heavy development, so I'm
hoping Sarah Sharp will tame it yet.

If you're having the same issues I had, the hdpvr will work once, fail
twice, and generally work again, fail twice, etc.

Good luck,

Andrew.