[mythtv-users] hdpvr 2 (1512) linux/mythtv support.

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sat Nov 2 13:09:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 5:32 AM, Karl Dietz
<dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org> wrote:
> On 02.11.2013 03:37, Eric Sharkey wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Stephen P. Villano
>> <stephen.p.villano at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Not here. I'm using Gmail, read through Thunderbird. Oz Dror's mails
>>> came in separate threads.
>>

>> The job of determining what is and isn't a thread is up to the
>> individual client doing the reading, not the server hosting the email.
>> There aren't hard and fast rules for how to do this.
>
> Please see RFC 822 on reference ids, message ids, references and
> in-reply-to have been standard since at least 1982!

It's not really that simple.  In the real world, end users do things
like reply to a message to get the mail client to populate the correct
list of recipients, then replace the subject.  They also spawn new
threads of discussion without even changing the subject, like this one
about threading, attached to one about Linux's lack of HDPVR2 support.
 And those RFC822 standards clearly mark "in-reply-to" as an optional
field.

The end result is that it really is up to the mail client to read the
tea leaves.

Eric