[mythtv-users] Controlling STB with Lirc

aaron memoryguy at gmail.com
Tue May 28 15:22:36 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-27 5:34 PM, "Rick" <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use my PVR-150 IR Blaster to control a comcast STB.  Something I
> discovered was the IR Blaster had to be at the exact right spot for the
> STB to read the signal.  I'm told the IR Blaster doesn't send a "strong"
> signal.  By the way, when I say the exact right spot it had to be within
> a millimeter, otherwise it wouldn't pick it up.  To find the spot, I did
> an irsend with repeat (SEND_START) and moved the blaster all over the
> front of the STB until it registered.  Also, the blaster seemed to come
> out of the tip better than the side.
>
> I hope that helps.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. I had been placing my transmitter a fair bit back from the
box, so I thought maybe I need it closer. I tried your trick on using
SEND_START and moving the device around, right in front of the face of the
box. But still, no luck :-(

I also tried the other suggestion of adding a delay (I tried 1 sec), but
that also didn't help (although I had tried that with the device further
away). I'll have to try playing with it some more when I get some time
(which is less and less often... We're in the process of moving into the
house, finalising the wedding plans, and I bunch of other stuff.
Unfortunately it doesn't leave much time for the important things like
MythTV :-))

aaron